Today, I would like to introduce you to Swiss beauty entrepreneur Sonja Frey. I first met her at a wedding in Tuscany last summer and was immediately impressed by her beautiful skin and complexion. The 38-year old, who resides in Zurich, founded her online shop in 2019. Originally under the name Uniquare, she changed it this year to Sonja Frey Soni Cares.
Her catchy slogan, that plays with her nick name, «Soni Cares», stays also for her personal passion behind her brand. Over the years, the charming blonde developed a huge knowledge of everything organic and natural when it comes to skincare. After helping friends and family in finding the right products, she decided to take it to the next level with the launch of her beautiful online shop. Only health and beauty products that meet her high standard of quality, eco-friendliness, and clean ingredients are included. You will find brands of all price categories, as for her it’s not about the price tag, but the quality of each hand selected product. Great news is that Sonja ships internationally. Let us surprise you!
On your website, I read that you were a trained attorney-at-law before launching your online shop. Can you tell us a little why you decided to become an entrepreneur and what were the biggest challenges?
I still work as an attorney-at-law on an independent basis. The wish to become an entrepreneur has been in my mind for a long time. As I started to realise that toxic ingredients are used for so many beauty products, I started to do more and more research and became very passionate about this subject. In the end I decided that I wanted to help others to easily navigate through the beauty jungle out there and find all the great products on one website. That’s how I started my shop.
What would be the best advice after becoming an entrepreneur to give to your younger self at the beginning?
Follow your dreams! It’s the best way to actually find a job or build a business which will last and be successful in the end. Only when you are really passionate about what you are doing, you will go the extra mile and people will believe in what you are doing.
Even Sonja’s dog Mimi is crazy for the GLO Precision Eye Pencil
Last year, you gave birth to your first child. How do you manage to combine both, being a businesswoman and a mother?
A very good question. I can give you the answer in 10 years:-). My baby girl is 11 months old, it does get easier. Of course it is hard to find time for everything, however as I believe in following your dreams, you can make anything happen.
How did you find the brands you are selling?
It all started with a personal passion (and addiction) to find the best brands for myself. So I started researching and researching and researching… During my travels for example, I was always checking the spas and local shops for their products, exploring their ideas about beauty, their philosophy. It is a continuing journey and really an addiction, I cannot stop looking for good brands, I am still doing so to expand my collection. I truly love all the products I am selling.
What is the common thread?
All brands work on a natural basis, are cruelty-free, non-toxic or anything similar. I am convinced that we all should reduce chemicals as much as possible in our lives, and only use them where they are really necessary. Most of the time, we forget our bathroom shelf. I was absolutely shocked once I learned about the ingredients that my former beauty products included, such as Polyethylene for example, a common component of plastics. This so-called microplastic is included in so many products, especially in facial scrubs, face wash or hands soaps among others. Besides being a primary concern for your health, those very small pieces also pollute the environment.
What is your own beauty routine?
I try to keep it simple, not too many products at once but change of routine/products from time to time:
– Morning: 1. cleaning, 2. face serum or cream depending on the season, 3. eye cream 4. sunscreen (always!)
– Evening: 1. cleaning, 2. serum/night cream or night mask, 3. eye cream
Do you have a beauty hack that you like to share with us?
Puh, I would say less is more. Don’t try to overdo it, give your skin time to breathe and use the right products, as natural as possible including some key ingredients. For example Vitamin C & A are great for the skin. I recommend the Vitamin C Treatment from NUORI and the Vitamin A Cream from SKINDESIGNLONDON, the latter will soon be available, so please stay tuned.
What are your favorite products on your website? Products we shouldn’t miss and why…
– Of course the Déesse Pro LED Mask, because it is the only beauty tool that replaces a treatment from a professional cosmetician.
– The Lumion Face Mist. I love it, especially at the moment, due to its antibacterial effects. It helps before an acne breakout and provides you with a clean face whenever you need it.
– The Regulatpro Hyaluron Anti Aging Drink. As we all know, beauty also comes from within. This is my daily dose of highly effective hyaluronic acid which naturally beautifies the skin, connective tissue, hair and nails.
– The Natural Perfumes from Dedcool LA. They smell fantastic and combine highest quality with natural ingredients. They are vegan, non-toxic, contain no palates, no parabens, no carcinogens and cruelty-free.
– GLO Pressed Base Powder. For me the best powder I tried so far, as your skin can breathe and it includes no harmful ingredients.
– FÎ-NE Deodorant Vetvier Geranium. Deodorants without aluminium salts are much better for your health and absolutely trendy at the moment. However, it is hard to find a good one that works and provides day-long protection. That’s why I like this one and its smell in Vetvier Geranium is divine.
– The Kokoso Coconut Oil for me and my little girl. It can be applied easily, is all natural with healing effects and can be used all over your body as often as you like. My absolute favourite coconut oil.
– If your budget is a bit higher, you will love the JK7 Golden Face Oil, it’s amazing. This beauty brand is a class of its own, very high performing and all natural. Once you have tried it, you will know what I am talking about.
But on my site, there are so many more amazing products, I could go on and on.
Do you use the Déesse PRO LED Mask on a regular base? Can you tell us a little more about this product?
The Déesse Pro LED Mask is where it all started for me. I was in the US for a few months and every cosmetic studio had a light therapy offering. I stumbled over the Déesse PRO LED Mask as it was the best one on the market and I found out that all stars and their cosmetic studios use this mask, like Shani Darden in LA for example. Of course, I needed to have it. Coming back to Switzerland, my friends were really interested to get to know this mask and as shipping to Switzerland was not possible at this time, I partnered up with the brand to do their exclusive retail here.
Ever since I got it in 2018, I use it on a very regular basis, sometimes daily, sometimes once a week, depending on my schedule. The good thing about the mask for me is, that I can also use it while watching TV. However, be careful, Déesse Masking in front of the TV is not for everyone, if you have sensitive eyes stay away from this. So what else can I say about this product. Maybe one thing, for me it was very interesting to find out that even NASA did some color studies and found out that this actually works. I still can’t believe that it is not yet popular in Switzerland. I am sure this will change.
Sonja Frey – a true pioneer when it comes to natural beauty
Sonja Frey in three words (adjectives).
Young, free and wild – haha, jokes aside: loving, intuitive, caring.
Thank you, Sonja, for sharing your beauty tips and experience with us!
As you know me, I always try things for myself to give you the best report possible. I have used the Déesse Pro LED Mask now for over 4 weeks and the results are truly amazing. I was blown away myself. Stay tuned, as I will post the detailed article about this beauty tool and light therapy in general shortly.
Photos: © Sonja Frey